Additional Learning Support Practitioner - Milton Keynes College
Milton Keynes College is working in partnership with HMP Stocken to put education at the heart of the prison system.
We have an exciting new opportunity for an Additional Learning Support Practitioner to join our Offender Learning team at HMP Stocken. The ideal candidate will be someone who is able to inspire and assist learners throughout their academic and vocational studies. The requirement of this role is to work across the whole prison estate, on all wings where education is delivered.
You will be a passionate, creative and empathetic towards our learners and be able to offer knowledge and guidance to our learners.
- To work closely with teaching staff and additional learning support staff in the delivery of good and outstanding support for all learners.
- To manage the initial and diagnostic assessment service in order to identify how learning needs can be effectively supported and monitored.
- To provide cover for a diverse range of teaching sessions as directed by line management, ensuring familiarity and compliance with the appropriate paperwork and procedures within the Department
Milton Keynes College: Rewards
- 25 days annual leave, 3 additional days leave for Christmas to New Year closure and UK Bank Holidays
- Able to apply for an NUS Extra Card and Blue lights card, offering a wide range of High Street Discounts
- Local Government Pension Scheme
- Childcare Vouchers
- Continued Professional Development Opportunities
- Cycle To Work Scheme
- Access to 'JUICE' the employees' health and wellbeing platform
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Contributions towards Eye Tests for Visual Display users
- Plus, many more
This role is based at HMP Stocken, which is a Category C Training Prison holding prisoners that are serving medium to long term sentences. Category C Training Prisons offer employment and training in a variety of activities.
Milton Keynes College works in partnership with the prison to provide the prisoners with both academic courses and vocational training opportunities to equip them with skills and qualifications necessary to increase their employment prospects on release and Teamwork to enable the men to develop skills in these areas.
Working together the college and prison are committed to providing positive opportunities to enable the men in the establishment to reach their full potential and inspire them to end their offending behaviour.
As a successful candidate you will have???
- Have a good basic general education including GCSE (or equivalent) Maths and English at Grade C.
- Hold an NVQ2/NVQ3 Teaching Assistant qualification or be willing to work towards.
- Have experience of working in a learning environment.
- Have well-developed interpersonal skills in relating to prison staff and in working with students who may have little experience of education and training.
- Be computer literate and willing to improve your IT skills.
- Have the ability to work as part of a team and on their own initiative.
- Have good organisational skills and be able to meet deadlines.
Location: HMP Stocken
Hours: 37 hours per week, 52 weeks per year
Salary: GBP18,015 - GBP21,522 per annum
Closing date: 18th September
More about the College
Milton Keynes College is proud to be an open and inclusive general Further Education College welcoming learners of all levels and delivering an exceptional educational experience.
The College offers a broad range of qualifications with more than 3, - 18-year-old full-time students studying traditional A Levels, vocational courses, apprenticeships and Higher Education. In addition, the College delivers employability and key skills training programmes to 3,000 people in local community learning centres and is one of the largest providers of Offender Learning in England, working with 27 prisons across the East Midlands, South Central and West Midlands.
Milton Keynes College is a committed safer recruitment employer. We take extreme care in ensuring the safety and welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults. All positions therefore undergo a stringent vetting process to include DBS for all positions.