News Editor - Burton
Competitive salary plus benefits
We are looking to recruit a talented individual to help run our busy newsdesk. You will already be working on a newsdesk, as a sub editor or be an experienced qualified senior reporter wanting to take a step up. We need someone who can identify a good tale, work copy, make it sparkle and add all the digital bells and whistles to make it perform well on the web. You will also need to have the experience to help nurture and guide the trainees on the reporting team. It's a fast-paced environment but is extremely rewarding and can be a lot of fun. Based in Burton, this is an exciting opportunity to work for a title which is rapidly growing its web and social audiences.
Our Business: Trinity Mirror plc
Trinity Mirror has an award-winning portfolio of newspapers, websites and digital products and is one of the UKs largest multi-media companies. It employs 6,000 people across more than 60 locations.
What you will be doing
- You will be part of the team newsdesking content for our site, so an eye for accuracy is vital and you must be able to work copy until it sparkles and know how best to make it work on the web.
- You will source, write and edit content for use on burtonmail.co.uk and other sites within the Trinity Mirror Regionals East Midlands portfolio.
- You will help supervise the work of our digital reporters, briefing them on stories and reviewing their submissions.
- You will assist our digital publisher and social media editor in broadcasting our content over social platforms and developing our online relationships with our local digital audience.
- You will take a lead on producing advanced content, ensuring we have robust plans in place to cover major events and originate ideas for creative content which reflects trends and audience conversations.
- The successful candidate will need to be a talented writer, be pedantic about accuracy, have excellent communication and organisational skills and be adept at working to tight deadlines under acute pressure.
- You will also need to be flexible as the role will include some weekend and evening shifts.
What you need to know
Trinity Mirror plc has a strong benefits package which includes, for this role, a competitive base salary (depending on experience), 33 days holidays including bank holidays and a competitive pension, along with an extensive flexible benefits portfolio.
We will be considering applicants as they apply, so don't delay in submitting your application. Trinity Mirror plc is committed to equal opportunity for all.
We may collect relevant data for monitoring as part of our candidate registration process.